Saturday, October 08, 2005

Contentment?

Is there such a thing as being content? Sometimes, I think it is possible. But, perhaps contentment is situational. In some things, I am very content. In others, I'm in constant search of something new or different.

I have nothing but the highest respect for someone who is completely content with their life. Well, perhaps not. Maybe I would feel that someone who is completely content with their life is arrogant and dishonest. Would that really be the case? I'm not exactly sure. I only know that if I were to ever be so bold as to unabashedly lie and tell someone that I am completely content, it would be exactly that... a lie. Even if my discontent lies only with the fact that I am human, and therefore flawed, it is still discontent.

I admit that I am used to a lot of changes in my life. I am struggling with the idea of "settling down" and in essence, becoming content with the situation at hand. Looking forward, I see no significant change in my life for the next 2 years. In the scheme of things, I know that is just a blip. At the moment, it feels like an eternity.

Given the sudden and tragic change that those affected by New Orleans just experienced, perhaps I should count myself lucky and not make so many assumptions that all will remain static for another 2 years. I certainly wouldn't welcome that kind of tragedy.

Is it possible to be content with change? Or is change itself a sign of discontent?

2 comments:

Kate McDonald said...

i am so glad you are back to blogging!

in regards to contentment.... i am not easily contented myself...i like the new..i want better of myself and others. is as true with all things, this is a curse and ablessing!

"godliness with contentment is great gain"... that probably sums it up well... what do you think?

Balaji S Rajan said...

I found yourself having visited my blog and thought of browsing your blog. Wah...... Content... nice topic. As you said, some of us are content in something and not content in other thing. But at one point of life we need to be content with everything. That comes only when we look at someone who has not even got what we have. I remember this story narrated by someone in my early days... A teenager wanted to buy a costliest trainers, and started working part-time to save for it. He got a small job and with his savings he tried to calculate how long he had to save to earn for those shoes...This happened when he was counting the money he earned as first wages and was walking in the high street after having a look at his dream trainers.... When he wondered of how many days he had to work hard to save money, and had a doubt whether he could work so much to get that money, he heard a noise and looked back to see a gentleman walking with crutches and without legs... The youngman became content...