Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The Den

What is a den anyway? Is it an office? Is it a spare bedroom? Is it a TV room? Is it a storage room? In our house, the "den" has become all of these. Thus, I've decided to give it a true purpose and get rid of the clutter.

I began by ordering a new desk and bookshelves from Crate & Barrel. I expected these pieces to be the centerpiece of the room I assumed would morph into a cozy office. My intentions were to move out the daybed that currently takes up so much room and purchase a big, comfy, overstuffed chair for reading & relaxing.

Somehow, nothing ever works out as planned. Why is it that when I try to focus on one room in the house... the other rooms start jumping in and begging for upgrades as well. Once I get started, I just can't stop. I'll explain further...

When the decision was made to move the TV out of the "den", my husband - the Xbox addict, needed a new spot to partake of his daily Halo2 habit. So, the ideas for the living room started coming. Now, we've gotten ourselves into a high definition projection system with surround sound in the living room...

When searching for the "big, comfy, overstuffed chair", we found the sofa of Jeff's dreams (at a dreamy price). Of course, I had not yet received my order from Crate & Barrel when we proceeded to shop for additional furniture. I wrongly assumed the sofa wouldn't fit in the den. When we did get the ordered desk & shelves into the den, I realized that the sofa would still fit nicely there. However, when we called about it, it was no longer in-stock. So, now Jeff has this "dream" sofa in mind whenever we head out to shop for our furniture solution in the den. My vision of a big, comfy, overstuffed chair has become something much bigger...

To compound this, when shopping for the furniture, I found the mirror that I've always wanted for the dining room. I also found the prints I want matted & framed for over the couch in the living room.

So, in the process of reducing clutter in the den, I now have upgraded a total of 3 rooms. Next time I decide to make a change in a single room, I'll be sure my budget is large enough to change the whole house!

No comments: